26 January 2011

Do You Doubt?

I have the best support system any girl could ask for.  I have an amazing boyfriend who gives me all the quiet time I need to write and is there to bounce ideas off of.  I have a Mom and Dad who are always willing to edit and read draft after draft of work.  I have a sister who is excited to be a part of my work.  And I have two dogs who sleep beside me while I write and keep me company.  These are my main supporters in my path to being a writer, along with friends, cousins, aunts, and grandparents.  All of these people are great at critiquing my work and not letting me think I am better than what I am, but at the same time they let me know I am not chasing after a dream I have no talent for.
If I know I am talented, have the dedication to work hard, and the willingness to learn, then why do I still doubt myself?
 Occasionally, I doubt my ideas aren’t creative or that what I find interesting no one else will.  A lot of the time, I doubt my knowledge of grammar and punctuation.  Sometimes, I doubt that no matter how hard I work and how much I love what I do that no one, outside my circle of supporters, will respond to my work.  Most of the time, I doubt my writing, that when placed next to others it will fall far short.
There are two ways I can respond to doubt: one, I can stop writing and keep my stories in my head, and two, I can acknowledge my doubt and continue to work hard.
While reading other paragraph entries on Nathan Bransford’s blog, I was intimidated by many submissions and I definitely questioned how mine looked up against theirs.  I think this is great though because the only way I will improve is by reading and learning from others.
What’s especially cool about posting on Nathan’s blog is that TWO people liked mine.  Not ZERO, but TWO!!!  How cool is that?!  I know it’s not ten, or twenty, or a hundred who said something, but I was thrilled that both Patti and Sophia responded to my post.  Thank you both.
I believe all artists doubt, perhaps all people in all areas of work doubt their abilities.  The only way I want to respond to my own doubt is to push them aside and continue to work.  Doubting myself will only make me write…err, work harder.

6 comments:

  1. I propose that a certain sense of doubt is a mighty fine thing, Juliana. Doubt keeps arrogant smugness at bay. Doubt maintains a quality of humility and openness to growth and learning alive. And though doubt has the potential to also disrupt confidence and lessen the joy, you are but beginning this journey. So the question to me is: how do you respond to those doubts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked yours a lot. Which is why I'm here. :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that's why we're artists. The entire time that I was in Hollywood I vacillated between crippling insecurity (fueled by the culture of the industry) and the thought that I was ten times better than the other hacks. :P

    I saw you were looking for CPs - if you want to exchange pages and see if our styles jive, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doubt can be just another form of questioning and exploring. It is natural and a perhaps a healthy part of the mind. Much of the time it doesn't seem to be "good" or "healthy" but when it propels movement and change then it is good and healthy.

    ReplyDelete