12 June 2011

Sentence Sundays!

I will be the first to admit, I am not the best writer.  Now, I may not be a great writer but I am dedicated, I work hard, I study and learn, and I want to be the best writer I can be.  And the first place to look to improve my writing is starting at the beginning: the sentence.  Thus, Sentence Sundays!  From here on out (or until I decide either I have nothing else to learn...right...or everybody votes Sentence Sundays stink) I will be posting what I learn about sentences.

As there are usually four Sundays per month, each Sunday will be designated to a different aspect of sentences.
1. Sentence Variation
2. Respect to the Greats
3. Punctuation
4. Word Choice

Since this technically is the second Sunday of the month, I'm going to leave you with one of my very favorite suspensive sentences: "He drove the car carefully, his shaggy hair whipped by the wind, his eyes hidden behind wraparound mirror shades, his mouth set in a grim smile, a .38 Police Special on the seat beside him, the corpse stuffed in the trunk."  (If any of you know who wrote this, let me know because I can't find it anywhere :(  )

Now that, is a great sentence.

Keep in mind, I will be learning as I post things here.  If you see any mistakes, please let me know!

So, I'll see you all next Sunday for a lesson on punctuation! 

(As a side note, I've had three of you take me up on my offer (for a critique partner or just to have a new set of eyes read your WIP) and a few of you say you were interested.  If you're still interested, or are anytime in the next couple months, let me know!  The offer is still standing :)

Note: in light of Kristen Lamb's, (who wrote We Are Not Alone (#MyWANA on Twitter)), post on why writers blogging about writing is bad, Sentence Sunday's will be the days of the week I blog on writing.  Tuesdays and Fridays will be my other blogging days, for other fun things :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I can't wait to read what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Sentence Sundays DOES NOT stink!! I loved it!
    And omg, I want to know about that corpse in the trunk!! EEK! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy dead man in a trunk and a gun at his side? You have me curious who wrote it too!

    I like the sentence Sunday idea, you know I'll be back to check it out:)

    And I'm for sure going to have to check out the post about writers not writing about writing. If that is the case I could be in a heap of a mess...though I guess I don't write about it all that much:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily- thanks :)

    Monica- I know, I love that sentence!

    Deana- I think you have enough of a variation within writing, especially with all of the wonderful interviews you do!

    ReplyDelete