04 March 2011

Illustrations by Chris Van Allsburg

Rupert's story began some six years ago when I was in high school.  A friend had to write a short story based on a picture.  They couldn't think of one, so naturally, I helped.  I wrote half a page of ideas and tucked it away in my memory.  Tonight, I decided to find that picture.

I'm postive all of you have seen Chris Van Allsburg's illustrations.  They're incredibly...incredible.

Here is the initial inspiration for the plot of Rupert:
The caption for the picture is, "Two weeks passed and it happened again."
This picture isn't quite as I remembered it, but it is so utterly exciting to have it in front of me again!

My tip for all writers out there: pick one of Chris's illustrations and write a short story based off it.  Use your imagination!  No, it's not a rat under the rug, or a mouse.  Instead it's....well, you choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment